Time: 45 Min
Portion: 4 servings
- 3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples. We use granny smith, fuji, or gravenstein apples, or a combination of all three. (Make sure you use a good cooking apple.)
- 4 strips of lemon peel – use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- up to 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher.
- Ready to serve, either hot or refrigerated. Delicious with vanilla ice cream or vanilla yogurt.
- Freezes easily, lasts up to one year in a cold freezer.