Time: 30 Min
Portion: 4 servings
• 12 oz. whole wheat fettucine
• 2 Tbsp. margarine spread
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
• 1 cup skim milk
• ¾ cup grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar or mozzarella cheese
• ½ cup cauliflower puree
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan
• ¼ tsp. each salt, pepper, paprika
1. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, then strain the pasta.
2. Heat the margarine in a large skillet with deep sides over medium heat. When the margarine foams, add the garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, but not brown. Add flour and cook 4-5 minutes, mashing the flour into margarine until it forms a smooth paste.
3. Add ¼ cup of the milk at a time and whisk constantly until the milk is absorbed and a creamy sauce starts to form. Once all the milk is incorporated, bring sauce to a slow boil, whisking 1 minute more.
4. Stir in the cheese, cauliflower puree, and Parmesan, mixing until smooth, about 1-2 mins. Add the salt, pepper, paprika, and pasta. Toss to coat.